Last week, before this week becomes last week....Jan 18-20

Ah how time gets away from me! I had a really awesome last end to my week and great weekend and haven't had a chance to blog about it! Shame shame.... I am traveling now and got busy with work so the pics I took will have to be updated later...but nonetheless, onward to review....

Running, week 3
In only my third week back training I made it to 71 miles this past week, which is pretty excited. I did a "gradual" rebuilding of mileage, starting out week one with 58, then 68, now 71. I am pretty pleased with it, especially since I had such great variety over the week including freezing snow and rain on Monday on what would have been a really nice 12 miler, SRC club run on Tuesday running with Alan, SRC tempo run on Thursday, Capitol Peaks Fatass on Saturday and a follow "long"run the next day.

Capitol Peaks, a brief review and more importantly, dinner...
On friday afternoon, I hopped in my car and headed south after getting my haircut for the first time in over 6 months. I have this tendency to forget these things until they randomly pop into my head and I decide, well I should probably do something about that... So I got my hair cut at Rudy's Barbershop by a awesome guy with a handlebar mustache....Got to love Rudy's Barbershop, $26 bucks for a great cut and no wait! I then go in the car about 2:45 and headed towards Olympia for the night to stay with Alison and James before the Capitol Peaks Mega Fatass. The hour drive took me two hours as a lot of people seemed to be heading out of town for the long weekend. I got to their house around 5 and Alison and I decided to hit up the local co-op to get some ingredients to make Potato-Kale Enchiladas from a recipe Alison had photocopied out of my Veganomicon. I sous-cheffed for Alison, roasting the chilis for the sauce.... These enchiladas put the other enchiladas I had made to shame. A crying crying shame. I am throughly enamored with Veganomicon and feel like I should make every single recipe in the book just to see if there is a single bad one. Well, the only "bad ones" for me will be the ones containing wheat, gluten or soy, so those might not make the list. I have been having bad problems with soy, so am taking a month off from it... I put the recipe in the next section. They were amazing fabulous and delicious. I was blown away by Alison's masterful cooking ;), we then went for a ride to see Alison's new massage studio (cool!), the other co-op and some other errands.

The next morning we woke, relatively on-time/late and made a swifty exit from the house and headed out in the rain to the race start. We arrived a few minutes before 8 after driving down some dodgey pothole ridden rodes in the rain and cold. It was not shaping up to be a nice day and Alison and I quickly abandoned our plans to even think about doing the full 34 miles. It was gross out and I was glad to have a rain coat. We gathered at the start, a bit damp and cold, but not too cold. There would be snow at the top of the course but what does one expect after a 1200 foot climb? We mingled at the start with the other 100 + runners. I saw Matt H, Justin A (among the brave souls who did the full 34), Piper (who was full of energy as usual), Van Phan. It was nice. And we were off, Alison lead me out quickly to get in front of the mob as it quickly becomes single track. We headed up up up through some clear cutting and around on the Lost Loop. I had eaten some gluten free quinoa bread and almond butter in the car ride over and had not had enough time to digest. It instead flopped around in my stomach and threatened to come speeding out at either end at any moment (eww, I know, but its the truth). Alison paced along well, despite feeling not quite right between body pains and the hinting of a cold coming on. We mucked along much like the previous weekend at Bridal Trails (though this time not horse poop...). Finally, I couldn't take it any more and had to jump off the trail and dive behind a huge tree to use the bathroom. Much relieved I got back on the trail and we (Alison, James and I) ran the remaining mile +/- back to the start/finish area. Alison and James opted out at this point and I stood there for a good 5 minutes trying to decide if my stomach had settled enough to go on. What the hell I thought, and off I went. They told me that the second part of the course was uphill to the top of the mountain and back down the other side, so I figured that I just had to gut out the first half of the loop and then ease on it.

I headed out and immediately realized that my bathroom break had rendered me without any energy stores and I hadn't brought anything along. I battled with some lightheadedness and feelings of low blood sugar as I made my way up up and up. After crossing the road and heading into a field of clear cutting, I saw behind me two people coming up the trail to pass me, one was a man and the other a woman. Despite feeling bad and not thinking I am a competitive person, I had the sudden feeling of, "oh heck no, I am not getting beat by a(nother) girl". I let them pass me but knew if I could get it together that I would use my downhilling skills to pull them back in. I knew I was getting to the top when the snow started to fall, and then found myself in a strange combination of deep snow, mud and frozen snow. I made it full and went blazing down the trail. The feeling of passing out had passed, so I started moving. Within 3 minutes I had caught everyone who had passed me at the aid station, on course, etc. I sped down the mountain, through crazy combinations of mud and terrain, finally flying into the finish with a time of 2:55, considering the bathroom break and the time in aid station, that put me running at about 2:46-2:47 which is not a bad outing at all. I was the first woman and despite this not being a true race, I liked the sound of that.

Food, nutrition and eating....

After the race, I enjoyed an amazing and perfect post-race meal. Menu included:
1) roast vegetables: brussel sprouts, broccoli, onion (roast with some evoo at 400 degrees)
2) mashed blue potatoes: blue potatoes boiled in mushroom stomach and mashed with some of the mushroom stock (ummm....yummy!)
3) vegetarian baked beans
4) small avocado

Here's a picture:

Another great throw together I had last week was an Asian Stir Fry with Tempeh:

And here is the recipe for the Enchiladas:

Here is the recipe for the Potato Kale Enchiladas as reprinted on

Potato Kale Enchiladas With Roasted Chili Sauce
prep time: | cooking time: 1 hour | makes 4-6 servings
Just like tamales are to sandwiches, enchiladas are a gift from Mexican cooking that requires just a little extra work than most casseroles do. Enchiladas taste even better the next day and even your kitchen-fearing domestic partner or kids could reheat without having to call 911.
In this alternative to traditional fillings, mashed potatoes and tender braised kale are spiked with lime, chile, and toasted pepitas, all wrapped in corn tortillas and a flavorful chile sauce. Accompany individual servings with a dollop of guacamole.

Tip: There’s a dozen different ways to assemble enchiladas, but we prefer intersecting two lightly toasted, sauce-soaked tortillas like a spicy red Venn diagram to form one big tortilla so that we can get as much filling as possible into each enchilada.

Tip: If you can’t find any fresh green chiles, a 4-ounce can of green roasted chiles will do in a pinch.

For the Enchilada Chile Sauce:
2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
1 onion, cut into small dice
3 large green chiles (such as Anaheim or even Italian-style long green peppers), roasted, seeded, peeled (see page XX), and chopped coarsely

2–3 teaspoons chile powder, preferably ancho
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon marjoram or Mexican oregano (epazote)
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (roasted preferred)
1 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2–2 teaspoons salt

For the Potato and Kale Filling:
1 pound waxy potatoes (Yukon gold or red)
1/2 pound kale, washed, trimmed, and chopped finely
3 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds, page XX), chopped coarsely, plus additional for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

12–14 corn tortillas

Preheat the oven to 375°F and have ready a shallow casserole dish, at least 11 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches.

Prepare the enchilada sauce first: In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions is oil for 4 to 7 minutes, until softened. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a simmer, and remove from the heat. When the mixture has cooled enough, taste and adjust the salt if necessary. Puree with an immersion or regular blender until the mixture is smooth and even.

Prepare the filling: Peel and diced the potatoes, then boil them until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. Cook the grapeseed oil and minced garlic in a saucepot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the garlic is sizzling and slightly browned (be careful not to let it burn). Add the kale, sprinkle with a little salt, and raise the heat to medium, stirring constantly to cover the kale with the oil and garlic. Partially cover the pot to steam the kale until it has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes.

Remove the lid and mix in the potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, pumpkin seeds, and salt. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until the stock is absorbed. Add more salt or lime juice to taste.

Create an enchilada assembly line: Have ready a pie plate filled with about 3⁄4 cup of enchilada sauce, a casserole dish, a stack of corn tortillas, a lightly greased, heated griddle or cast-iron pan (for softening the tortillas), and the potato and kale filling.

Ladle a little bit of the enchilada sauce onto the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it around. Take a corn tortilla, place it on the heated griddle for 30 seconds, then flip it over and heat until the tortilla has become soft and pliable. Drop the softened tortilla into the pie plate filled with sauce; allow it to get completely covered in sauce, flip it over, and coat the other side.

Now, place the tortilla either in the casserole dish (the easiest way) or on an additional plate. Layer it with another heated, sauce-covered tortilla or just use one per enchilada; either way, run the potato filling down the middle and roll it up. Continue with rest of tortillas, tightly packing enchiladas next to each other.
Pour about a cup of sauce over the top (reserving some for later), cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until edges of the tortillas poking out of sauce look just a little browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Top individual servings with any remaining enchilada sauce, warmed slightly.

On Sunday evening, I got together with my mom (because I hadn't seen her in 2 weeks!!) and I cooked for her. I again made a great menu from Veganomicon:

Parsnip & Beet salad with a pineapple vinaigrette
Messy Rice
Creole Stuffed Bell Peppers

This was one of the those occasions where I was kicking myself throughly for forgetting my camera! It was not only delicious but beautiful too!